Monday, February 05, 2007

Getting home - the saga...

Unfortunately I spent the first two weeks of our Europe trip very sick and then during our last week in Berlin I got sick again - this time with a head cold. It wasn't a bad illness - just annoying. But then we flew and the pressure changes in the plane were sooooo painful for me because my head was stuffed up and I couldn't unblock my ears! We still had another flight to get on and I saw a doctor at the airport and they advised me not to fly because I could perforate my ear drums! It scared me into not getting onto the second plane. I did everything to unblock my sinuses - breathing in steaming water, nasal decongestant, stayed indoors.. And I did start feeling less blocked up.

Then we discovered it was going to be very hard to book new flights home, because everything was booked out! Arghh.. We finally found one flight and if we didn't take it we would have had to wait for a month or more. I was so sick of staying in a hotel and I felt like i was doing better so we took it. And again i experienced immense pain during the landing of the flight.. and my ears blocked up.

We finally made it home though.. and I saw a doctor as soon as possible.. and i was told that I have sinusitis. So I started anti-biotics.. but they have done nothing. I went back to a doctor today and now they think that it's viral, so there's not much they can do. I'm still in pain.. and I still can't hear. The not being able to hear is the most annoying bit. Apparently i can't hear because my sinuses are very blocked and while flying some of the muck got pulled into my ears during the pressure change. He even said my ear drum is being pushed outwardly.. yuck.

Now I understand why they recommend not to fly while you have a head cold!

1 comment:

Zoya said...

poor you :-( hope you'll get better soon.