Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Impressions of Italy

Apologies to all who love Italy, but...

Italy is probably a thriving country, it certainly has culture, history and food, but the cities we visited all had one thing in common. Every shop and restaurant, no matter how nice has a roller-door over the windows which they close when the shop is closed. All of these roller-doors are covered in graffiti. The shops have no identifying markers or signs on the outside of the roller-door.

This means that during winter, or christmas, or on Sundays, or just generally when the town is closed the town suddenly turns into a dirty ghetto, you can't tell whether a neighborhood is abandoned, or just off doing other things.

To a tourist this is very off-putting and tends to put you on edge.

That being said, I kind of think of Italy, as a little like me, having better things to do than clean up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That being said, I kind of think of Italy, as a little like me, having better things to do than clean up! -

Very nice. I like that! Self-realisation!! And true - I should be more like that.

Sounds lovely.

Trev
===