Monday, January 22, 2007

Vienna - music, palaces, churches but no laundries!

We spent a day in Vienna and made it to all the main sights. We started by walking around The Ring (which is the main road that circles around the city of Vienna - passing through some of the main sights). While in Holland we had heard a lot about Sissi (Empress Elisabeth who is still celebrated in Austria), but knew nothing about her so we decided to go to the Sissi museum, which included the Imperial Apartments of the Imperial Palace. We went to Saint Stephen's Cathedral, which is a beautiful church. And we went to Mozart and Strauss's monuments. While at the Strauss monument we discovered that there is a live webcam (though we couldn't work out where it was!). But check it out if you want to see a live picture of the Strauss monument.

We also went to the House of Music (Haus der Musik), which I thoroughly recommend (and I will talk about in another post because I think it deserves a seperate mention).

Overall, I really enjoyed Vienna. It's a beautiful city and reminds me a little of Paris. My only advice is to arrive with enough clean clothes to last the entire time in Vienna. :)

No comments: