Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What does one do with coins?

A big thing in Europe seems to be to throw coins in water - fountains, wells, puddles on the ground, etc. I'm sure I've seen this in Australia too, but not to the same extent as in Europe. I've also noticed people throwing coins over their left shoulder with their right hand. And I have even seen a hole (without any water) with coins at the bottom of it?!?

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to generate some sort of luck for the coin throwers. But does anyone know what sort of luck? And how this tradition all started?!?!

(P.S. For those of you living in Europe now, I was thinking that if you put a bucket of water outside your residence it might be a way of generating some extra money. If it works let me know. And you'll need to send me a percentage of your earnings since it was my idea! ;)

No comments: